Pages

19 January, 2007

Works in progress

Apologies for rewriting the previous post on color dominance and consistency (the bad and the ugly) so many times :) I don't mean to make it sound as if my two handed method is the only way to go, it is more about the consistency in yarn placement no matter what method you use. I wish I could manage to control the yarns with both strands in my left hand, that would be ideal, but in addition to tangling the yarns, I can't control the tension that way. I'm working on it, though.

Liz and I have started a knit-along for our Poetry In Stitches projects. Becki has also joined us. If anybody else would like to join, they are welcome. I have yarn for one more Poetry project coming, the camisole in pale blue, so this will keep me going for a while. My goal is going to be able to wear the Brocade sweater this winter and the camisole this summer. It's no fun to finish something just in time for the season to be over, which is my usual strategy!



The Brocade Leaves sweater has had its peony border redone, so that's just now finished. I procrastinated a lot in frogging it, but then once I did it was fun to reknit the border. The big repeat kept it interesting, and I am liking the amount of detail in the flowers. It's a consolation for knitting with fine yarn where the rounds take a long time.



The Victorian Lace scarf has 17 repeats today, but yesterday it had 18. Funny how that goes. I don't know yet how long I will make it. The pattern calls for 20 repeats, but with my thinner yarn that is not going to be long enough, so I will just keep going for as long as I feel like. I am using one of my lovely new Addi turbo circular needles, which were sent to me by Kris. It's perfect.


For both Poetry In Stitches and Victorian Lace Today I have seen comments about of the lack of "names" for the patterns. It's funny how blogging makes it necessary to name our projects, I myself made a name for my "brocade leaves" only so that I could blog about it. I am fine with designers not naming their creations. Good designs speak for themselves. I sometimes even think it's a distraction to see everything named in a pattern book, it starts a whole subconscious process of wondering how that name fits the garment, when really what I should be thinking about is how the garment fits me. But giving something a cool name definitely makes people want it more. And having the names makes it easier for blogging. Maybe I should just go back to calling my sweater the "p124 sweater", it's a very pure kind of name.

18 comments:

  1. Both of those projects are looking gorgeous! I love the peonies especially - that kind of colorwork where there are multiple background colors and one pattern color looks like magic to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. the new peony border is beautiful! I have one swatch all finished and am working on a second one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh, they are so beautiful! Both your projects, just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The peony border is so pretty, I could simply look at it for hours. There are so many interesting things to observe, like the fact that the there are 3 broad stripes of red, pink and ochre in there right next to 2 rows of forest green. Who would have thought of putting these colours together, but they turn out perfect together. I wish I had such an eye for colour. And I love the red scarf too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The lace is lovely! I might have to change my mind about not buying that book.

    Absolutely gorgeous! Every time I decide not to do that one, you change my mind again ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ditto what the other Marie said. :) Both your projects are gorgeous!
    Did you say you had to redo the peony border? As in knit again? Oh my!
    (I keep looking back at the picture of the peony boarder...it's just so beautiful!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just gorgeous stuff Hege!! So excited to see that you've started a Poetry KAL - I will join you in a bit; just got my book in the mail on Friday but I need to excercise restraint for the moment, I've spent TOO much on knitting and spinning stuff in the last several weeks!
    Thanks so much for your kind comment on my blog!! I started swatching some colorwork this week and because of all the info & inspiration on your site & others I'm finally starting to consider that such a project might actually be within my reach (though it might take me years!) Thanks for your awesome info in your color dominance post- it was a great help!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Of course the peony border sends me to my knees, it's so stunningly beautiful.
    The lace is also, what a beautiful red!
    I like your view on 'names'...the p.127 sweater....I like that.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are so right about project/pattern names. Your current WIPs are gorgeous!! And I took that Monty Python quiz... says I am the Minister of Silly Walks, haha!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree about the names, I actually found it a little charming when I discovered that each pattern is simply named "Cardigan", or something similar. It does make it hard to Google for more info on a particular sweater, though!

    I'm buying my yarn soon for the wedding cardigan in that book, I am excited!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, and how could I forget to add - both projects are looking beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So gorgeous, both knits. I just received my copy of VLT today in the post and actually was quite taken with the 'boring' names. I haven't read closely enough yet to know, but assumed the names given relate to the historical sources for the pattern? Maybe it's a backlash against all those ridiculous colour names that cropped up in the 1990s (and seem to refuse to go away?)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Her er roseborden på plass, ja :-D Gleder meg til å se fortsettelsen. En litt forsinket nyttårshilsen tilbake til deg. Jeg trodde bloggen din var død, for linken din var litt feil. Men nå ser jeg jo at her går det forover, så nå skal jeg følge godt med videre!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Keep us posted on the knit along. It seems like the Poetry in Stitches book can't do wrong. I look forward to the ooohs and aahs.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your peony border is really beautiful. Frogging must have been tough, but with all that detail, I know you want it to come out just right.

    I haven't purchased the Victorian Lace book yet, but it is on my list. I agree with you about pattern names. Easier blogging, but the name can be a distraction, especially if it's one you don't particularly like.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I can't believe how beautiful your Sweater already is, and the scarf is such a piece of art too! Very gorgeous indeed!
    I'm *so* with you when it comes to names for projects - I constantly wonder why people seem to be so taken by naming their patterns - and I realized that I started doing so as well with the ones I did, just for the heck of it. But I agree with you, names could so easily be a distraction, and there's just no special reason for it as, as you said, a good design doesn't need a name. Your sweater is adorable, with a name or none ;)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I need to be learn lace - it is just so pretty! I must stop leaving my knitting around as the hounds think it taste fantastic. Especially if the wool is expensive. No nylon for my hounds!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Both of those are breathtaking! Your knitting is just amazing! And I am running out of adjectives!

    ReplyDelete